DRIVE THE GROWTH OF MYANMAR’S PROMISING TECH STARTUPS
● Do you want to help develop a new generation of entrepreneurs in Myanmar?
● Are you excited about entrepreneurship and using technology to build new businesses?
● Are you awesome at getting things done quickly and effectively?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an innovation lab that is spearheading the use oftechnology to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar invests inlocal technology startups, trains new entrepreneurs and builds the pool of tech talent.Phandeeyar also helps civic and social entrepreneurs, CSOs and independent mediause technology to increase their impact and runs a co-working space out of its 10,000square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Including Digital RightsForum, StartUp Challenge and Accelerator Program, Phandeeyar hosted 251 events
total in 2017 with more than 4,000 attendees.
The Accelerator Manager will take a leading role in building the tech and startupecosystem in Myanmar. The person is responsible for running the accelerator programand for providing guidance to managers of other programs under the #accelerateMMumbrella: 1) entrepreneurship program; 2) tech program and; 3) MakerSpace program.The person will also be the face of Phandeeyar in ecosystem building events, such as workshops, bootcamps and competitions within and outside Myanmar.
Key responsibilities include:
● Lead and manage the accelerator program team:
– Develop and empower people in the team, making them capable of executing tasks autonomously;
● Recruit the top tech startups in Myanmar to join the accelerator: update the database of tech startups in the ecosystem, Manage the Startup Clinic to attract promising tech startups to Phandeeyar in an ongoing basis, ;
● Perform due diligence on the tech startups that are selected to join the program;
● Onboard the selected tech startups to start the accelerator program;
● Enable the tech startups to consistently grow their business during the program;
● Organize the Demo Day, getting the attention of the most prominent early stage investors and media in Myanmar and internationally;
● Generate investment opportunities for the whole portfolio of tech startups, including alumni.
To complete the Key Responsibilities, Phandeeyar uses OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) to set goals for its staff. Priorities and measurable expectations are defined in each staff OKRs. OKRs are updated every 3 months. Given the fluid nature of Phandeeyar activities, staff may be asked to support on a variety of other tasks. Phandeeyar also encourages staff to diversify their area of expertise and take on increasing responsibilities.
Management skills – You’re awesome at getting things done. You’re a self-starter who takes the initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You can build and manage a team, juggle multiple projects, craft partnerships, manage negotiations, whilst paying close attention to details.
Entrepreneurial experience – You must have some entrepreneurial experience, ideally with a tech startup and preferably as a Founder. An understanding of the lean startup approach and the unique challenges faced by tech entrepreneurs is important. Knowledge of the Myanmar startup community would be valuable.
Communications – You’re an excellent communicator with great written and spoken English and Myanmar. You’re as comfortable speaking to a crowd or a classroom as you are to the press or an investor.
Mentoring & training skills – You will be great at working one on one with tech founders, as well as helping them work with others. You’ll also be able to develop and run tech entrepreneurship programs. Teaching or training experience would be very valuable.
Passion – Phandeeyar is trying to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. It works not just with the tech community, but with change agents such as civil society groups, social enterprises and independent media. You must be excited to use your skills to help those working on socially driven initiatives.
Location: This role is based in Yangon. It may involve some travel.
Hours: Phandeeyar is itself a start-up. Many of its activities happen outside standard office hours (9am-5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive
for the sector.
To apply: Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you are perfect for this role and attach a CV/resume (not more than two pages long).
Note: Applicants do not need to currently be living in Myanmar. We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.