DRIVE THE GROWTH OF MYANMAR’S MOST INNOVATIVE ORGANIZATION
- ● Are you a talented Accountant?
- ● Are you passionate about making sense of all the financial data?
- ● Do you want to use your skills to support a team that is harnessing the potential of Myanmar’s connectivity revolution?
- ● Do you want to work with the tech community, civil society organizations, social enterprises and independent media to accelerate change and development in Myanmar?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an innovation lab that is spearheading the use of technology to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar invests in local technology startups, trains new entrepreneurs and builds the pool of tech talent. Phandeeyar also helps civic and social entrepreneurs, CSOs and independent media use technology to increase their impact and runs a co-working space out of its 10,000 square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Including Digital Rights Forum, StartUp Challenge and Accelerator Program, Phandeeyar hosted 251 events total in 2017 with more than 4,000 attendees.
Phandeeyar is looking for a highly talented finance or accounting professional to be its Accountant. You will have the overall responsibility for the efficient operation of the accounting team and the timely delivery of monthly financial reports. You will report directly to the Chief Accountant and the Finance Manager.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- ● Recording daily cash/bank transactions in accordance with international accounting standards in Quickbook accounting software
- ● Recording payables , receivables and journals in Quickbooks accounting software
- ● Preparing and assisting in monthly financial statements and financial notes.
- ● Handling monthly reconciliation of advance, cash and bank balances, other detail accounts etc
- ● Updating and uploading files of financial documents in Google drive and files.
- ● Handling in submission of tax returns such as commercial tax, withholding tax, stamp duty, income tax and dealing with tax officers.
- ● Supporting in yearly external audits and other program audits as necessary
- ● Ensuring in following of finance policies and procedures in accordance with governing laws and standards, non- profit requirements, and phandeeyar policies and procedure
- ● Must be a team player, a good observer and detail oriented person, who can follow the procedures and reporting deadline.
- ● Other ad-hoc duties assigned by Supervisor
Finance/Accounting qualifications – You need to have a Bachelor’s degree or pursuing in Finance/Accounting/Auditing – ACCA, CIMa, or CPA is preferred
Finance/Accounting experience – You need to have a minimum of 2 years working experience as an accountant and having an accounting software experience, preferred Quickbook or similar. Experience working in an international environment is preferable. Experience working with an international NGO would be ideal.
Highly organized – You’re a self-starter who takes the initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You can juggle multiple projects with limited supervision, often on tight timelines and you have excellent attention to detail.
Trustworthy / reliable – We need to be able to count on you. The success of our activities will depend on you. You’ll be managing our finances and helping manage our relationships with donors.
Communications – You need to be fluent in both English and Myanmar. You will also need to be able to ‘’educate’’ Phandeeyar staff on our policies.
Excited about our mission – We want to work with people who are excited about what we’re doing. You don’t need to be a tech guru, but you at least need to be excited about using technology to improve Myanmar.
- ● Location: This role is based in downtown Yangon. It may very occasionally involve some travel around the country.
- ● Hours: This is 5½ day per week job, but please note that because Phandeeyar is a community tech hub the hours will not be standard office hours (9am-5pm). We hold a lot of events in the evenings and on the weekends. You will have to work late and on the weekends. However time will be given off in-lieu (to make up for this).
- ● Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
- ● To apply: Interested candidates can submit Phandeeyar Job Application Form through Phandeeyar website. Applications are seen on an ongoing basis.
Note: Applicants do not need to currently be living in Myanmar. We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.
For more information please visit: