On Thursday, 24 August, Phandeeyar’s Tech Meetup invited CTOs from local tech startups to talk about the potential of tech startups in Myanmar.
Our speakers included 2 CTOs from Phandeeyar Accelerator’s Cohort 1, as well as the CEO of one of the winning teams from Phandeeyar Startup Challenge 2017:
Nay Oo Linn ( CTO of White Merak )
Wai Yan Nyein Naing ( CEO of Robo Tech)
Lwin Htoo Ko ( CTO of Ezstay )
Arkar Phyo, Phandeeyar’s Entrepreneurship Associate, acted as the moderator and lead the discussion, which was divided into 2 segments. Each segment was 30 minutes long, with a 15 minute Q&A from the audience concerning the topics.
Some key points that were touched on by the speakers, and brought up by the audience included:
- Is it the time to start a tech startup?
- If you’re not a tech person, can you start a tech startup?
- Should you go global, regional, or cater to the local market?
- What are the must have qualities and skills for a CTO?
- How does a CEO find the right CTO?
- People in Myanmar aren’t very familiar with tech, and are still primarily using Facebook when connecting to the internet. How did you convert these users to your app and gain traction?
- What do you think of the potential of tech startups in Myanmar?
- What do you think the challenges and opportunities tech startups face, and will face operating in a dynamic emerging market like Myanmar?
The event concluded with a networking event session, which included complimentary food and drinks.