DRIVE THE GROWTH OF MYANMAR’S MOST INNOVATIVE ORGANIZATION
● Are you an awesome data scientist who wants to help lead the data revolution in Myanmar?
● Do you want to work with the tech community and civil society to accelerate change and development in Myanmar?
● Are you passionate about helping civil society organizations, social enterprises, and the media use technology to increase their impact?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an innovation lab that is spearheading the use of technology to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar invests in local technology startups, trains new entrepreneurs and builds the pool of tech talent. Phandeeyar also helps civic and social entrepreneurs, CSOs and independent media use technology to increase their impact and runs a co-working space out of its 10,000 square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Including Digital Rights Forum, StartUp Challenge and Accelerator Program, Phandeeyar hosted 251 events total in 2017 with more than 4,000 attendees.
Phandeeyar is looking for a talented professional to serve as a data scientist. As a data scientist on our team, you will work with local NGOs, CSOs and Government Partners to leverage the power of data to meet their goals as well as our own. This will include problem scoping, goal definition, and evaluating the maturity data, and of course producing valuable insights from this data. We also expect the ability to communicate the power of our data science projects as well as share your skills with the data community through lectures and talks.
Key responsibilities include:
● Build robust machine learning models for projects with many types of data (location, time series, text, etc.).
● Lead teams of data science volunteer for our Myanmar Data Tada Program (MyanmarDataTada.com ).
● Write clear documentation of the work that you have done and also “how-tos” for the rest of the team
● Provide data science training for the community.
● Remain up-to-date with new machine learning and data science methods.
● Work collaboratively with the media outlets, researchers, or developers from the Tech
● For Change Team to produce stories and products that will complement and amplify your work.
● Assist in procuring datasets to either archive them on the data portal with appropriate meta-data or use them in our Data Tada Program for other partners.
Organizational skills – You are great at getting things done. You’re a self-starter who takes the initiative, can mobilize resources, and solves problems. You can juggle multiple projects and you have good attention to detail.
Team Management – You must have experience in problem scoping and have the ability to break down complex, technical problems and delegate these tasks to other data scientists.
Python/R – You must have experience building machine learning models using either Python or R. You should be familiar with dataframes and fluent in data manipulation.
Machine Learning Systems Development – You have excellent skills in not only building models that are robust, but you can implement these models into larger systems that are clean and dependable.
Mapping and Data Visualization – Some experience with mapping technologies and platforms such as MapBox, CartoDB, QGIS, GeoJSON/TopoJSON, etc is desirable. Experience with data visualization technologies such as D3.js, Tableau, etc is also desirable.
Passionate about technology and data – You should be very comfortable with numbers anddatasets. You are passionate about continually learning new skills in technology, data science and data visualization.
Other Tech Skills – You have experience in working with version control systems such as Git.
Communications – You’re a good communicator and able to communicate technical concepts effectively and concisely to non-techies. You are able to write clear documentation in English.
Excited about our mission – We want to work with people who are excited about what we’re doing. You need to be excited about using technology and open data to improve Myanmar. If you have contributed to open source projects and/or civic tech projects before, it will be a bonus.
Location: This role is based in Yangon. It may involve some travel around the country.
Hours: Phandeeyar is itself a start-up. Many of its activities happen outside standard office hours (9am-5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
To apply: Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Apply for Data Scientist position” explaining why you are perfect for this role, and attach a CV/resume (not more than two pages long) and submit your previous work. For more information please visit: