DRIVE THE GROWTH OF MYANMAR’S PROMISING TECH STARTUPS
● Do you want to help develop a new generation of entrepreneurs in Myanmar?
● Are you excited about entrepreneurship and using technology to build new businesses?
● Are you awesome at getting things done quickly and effectively?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an innovation lab that is spearheading the use of technology to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar invests in local technology startups, trains new entrepreneurs and builds the pool of tech talent. Phandeeyar also helps civic and social entrepreneurs, CSOs and independent media use technology to increase their impact and runs a co-working space out of its 10,000 square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Including Digital Rights Forum, StartUp Challenge and Accelerator Program, Phandeeyar hosted 251 events total in 2017 with more than 4,000 attendees.
The Entrepreneurship Program Manager is responsible to recruit and train the most promising tech-startup founders in Myanmar, taking then from the idea stage to having a real business. The person will be responsible to run the entrepreneurship training program, the Startup Challenge and pre-accelerator program.
Key responsibilities include:
● Lead and manage the entrepreneurship program team:
○ Develop and empower people in the team, making them capable of executing tasks autonomously;
● Deliver the three main projects of the Entrepreneurship Program:
○ Founder Institute , Yangon chapter, a 14-weeks intensive entrepreneurship training;
○ Startup Challenge , a 9-days competition to train and reward tech entrepreneurs that want to build their startups;
○ Pre-accelerator , a 8 weeks intense training to prepare tech startups for applying to Phandeeyar Accelerator program;
● In order to deliver the three main projects, there is a group of tasks that are necessary to be accomplished:
○ Plan the program , including defining the goals, the budget, a detailed schedule and the tasks for each team member and supporting teams;
○ Recruit participants ( with support from the Marketing team ), including setting up and monitor an online application form for participants, a series of Facebook posts for Phandeeyar Facebook page, a Facebook Ads campaign, an email marketing campaign, defining activities to attract media attention to the program;
○ Recruit sponsors ( with support from the Business Development team ): build the sponsorship deck, reach out leads (potential sponsors), follow up with the leads, negotiate with the qualified leads, prepare the contracts and collect signatures;
○ Define the curriculum : define the topics to be addressed by the program, the assignments for participants in each topic, to make it practical, elaborate the slide decks with the content of topics and
assignments, elaborate the calendar with all topics and assignments;
○ Invite instructors : identify the best instructors for addressing each topic of the program, secure the acceptance of each instructor to address the topics of the program, provide all the information necessary for the instructor to perform well, host the presence of the instructor in the office, to make it a pleasant experience;
○ Manage operations ( with support from the Operations team ): setup the classroom with all the equipment needed, provide all support necessary to instructor and participants during the classes, setup and manage documents and financials;
○ Execute post-program activities : collect feedback about what did and what didn’t work, define a plan of action to improve the next editions of the program, write a document containing feedback and plan of action and store at Phandeeyar Google Drive;
Passionate about helping entrepreneurs – You must have a demonstrated interest in entrepreneurship. Ideally you will have started something yourself or will have helped to create something new.
Excited about tech businesses – You don’t need to be a tech guru, but you at least need to be excited about tech businesses. Bonus points if you already have a good knowledge and understanding of tech businesses and especially startups.
Awesome organizational skills – You are great at getting things done. You’re a self-starter who takes the initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You can juggle multiple projects and you have good attention to detail.
Highly resourceful & adaptable – You are great at figuring things out. When we don’t have the answer, you’ll be good at figuring it out for yourself. You’re also highly flexible and are comfortable working in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
Good communicator – You need to be fluent in Myanmar. You should also have decent English – it doesn’t need to be perfect, but you do need to be able to work in English.
Passion – Phandeeyar is trying to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. It works not just with the tech and entrepreneurship community, but with change agents such as civil society groups, social enterprises and independent media. You must be excited to also use your skills to help those working on socially driven initiatives.
Location: This role is based in Yangon. It may involve some travel.
Hours: Phandeeyar is itself a start-up. Many of its activities happen outside standard office hours (9am-5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
To apply: Please send an email to email@example.com explaining why you are perfect for this role and attach a CV/resume (not more than two pages long).
Note: Applicants do not need to currently be living in Myanmar. We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of
tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the
responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands
change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.