Senior Web Developer
- Are you an awesome developer who wants to help with the upcoming 2020 Myanmar Election?
- Do you want to work with the tech community and civil society to accelerate change and development in Myanmar?
- Are you passionate about helping civil society organizations, social enterprises, government, and the media use technology to increase their impact?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an innovation lab that is spearheading the use of technology to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar invests in local technology startups, trains new entrepreneurs and builds the pool of tech talent. Phandeeyar also helps civic and social entrepreneurs, CSOs and independent media use technology to increase their impact and runs a co-working space out of its 10,000 square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Including Digital Rights Forum, StartUp Challenge and Accelerator Program, Phandeeyar hosted 251 events total in 2017 with more than 4,000 attendees.
Phandeeyar is looking for a talented professional to serve as its Web Developer. You will be supporting Phandeeyar team and partners to develop compelling user-facing products on the upcoming Myanmar election. Also, you will be working on the Open data project. You will work closely with the content producer and researcher to use various front-end web technologies to build and maintain a web products that provides a great user experience, and seamlessly integrates articles, maps, and data visualizations. Your job will be to support Phandeeyar team and help make open data resources publicly available for journalists, researchers, civil society organization, businesses, and the general public.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support Phandeeyar team and partners to build and maintain compelling user-facing products for the upcoming 2020 Myanmar election.
- Assist the content producer and the rest of the team in producing interactive maps and data visualizations
- Maintain the front-end content of web products and ensure they meet consistent quality standards
Work together with back-end developers who maintain the Open Development Mekong regional data portal to ensure smooth integration between the WordPress front-end site and the CKAN back-end
Work collaboratively with project team to help organize workshops on open data and data skills for civil society and media organizations
Assist in procuring publicly available datasets and archiving them on the data portal with appropriate meta-data
Serve as a mentor and technical leader for aspiring developers in the community by sharing your skillset.
Organizational skills – You are great at getting things done. You’re a self-starter who takes the initiative,can mobilize resources, and solves problems. You can juggle multiple projects and you have good attention to detail.
Mapping and Data Visualization – Experience with mapping technologies and platforms such as MapBox, CartoDB, QGIS, GeoJSON/TopoJSON, etc is desirable. Experience with data visualization technologies such as D3.js, Tableau, etc is also desirable.
Passionate about technology and data – You don’t need to have a background in quantitative data analysis, but you should be comfortable with numbers and datasets. You are passionate about continually learning new skills in technology, data science and data visualization.
Other Tech Skills – You have experience in working with version control systems such as Git. Experience with Python or the CKAN data portal software is a bonus.
Communications – You’re a good communicator and are fluent in both English and Myanmar. You are able to communicate technical concepts effectively and concisely to non-techies. You are able to write clear documentation in English.
Excited about our mission – We want to work with people who are excited about what we’re doing. You need to be excited about using technology and open data to improve Myanmar. If you have contributed to open source projects and/or civic tech projects before, it will be a bonus.
- Location: This role is based in Yangon. It may involve some travel around the country.
- Hours: Phandeeyar is itself a start-up. Many of its activities happen outside standard office hours (9am-5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however, there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
- Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
- Interested candidates can submit Phandeeyar Job Application Form. Applications are seen on an ongoing basis.
For more information please visit: