JOIN MYANMAR’S MOST EXCITING TEAM
● Are you an active member of the Myanmar maker and tech community?
● Are excited to help grow Myanmar’s tech ecosystem?
● Do you want to use your skills to organize events, meetups and workshops to support the maker community?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an innovation lab that is spearheading the use of technology to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar invests in local technology startups, trains new entrepreneurs and builds the pool of tech talent. Phandeeyar also helps civic and social entrepreneurs, CSOs and independent media use technology to increase their impact and runs a co-working space out of its 10,000 square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Including Digital Rights Forum, StartUp Challenge and Accelerator Program, Phandeeyar hosted 251 events total in 2017 with more than 4,000 attendees.
Phandeeyar is looking for a talented professional to serve as the Makerspace Assistant. The Makerspace Assistant will be responsible for helping with the day-to-day operations of Phandeeyar’s Makerspace, as well as assisting with Phandeeyar’s hardware technology-related activities. Your job will be to help make Phandeeyar a vibrant center for the innovative and creative use of hardware technologies in Myanmar.
Key responsibilities include:
● Helping to design and run activities/programs to develop the Makerspace as a key community resource for the hardware tech ecosystem in Myanmar, including: seminars on hardware related topics, workshops for the community to learn new skills, and large scale events such as hackathons and maker fairs
● Helping to design and manage training programs for the maker and hardware hacking community, including building a network of trainers
● Helping to build the community of makers and hardware enthusiasts who are excited about using technology for civic impact and community development
● Helping makers in the process of transforming their idea into prototype phase and eventually into product phase
● Helping with the day-to-day operations of the Makerspace, including sourcing new equipment and supplies, curating a network of suppliers and distributors, maintaining existing equipment, maintaining the physical well-being of the Makerspace, supporting the membership program for the Makerspace, and documenting procedures and policies on how the equipment in the Makerspace should be used.
Organizational skills – You are great at getting things done quickly. You’re a self-starter who takes the initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You can juggle multiple projects and you have good attention to detail.You are creative at finding ways to come up with solutions.
Great people skills – You’re a people person. You love bringing people together and you have the interpersonal skills to help build and support the maker community.
Passionate about technology – You don’t need to be a full stack engineer (although that would be ideal!), but you should be comfortable with technology and working with developers. You have entrepreneurial mindset.You are always learning for opportunities to improve.
Communications – You’re a good communicator with solid written and spoken Myanmar and good written and spoken English skills. You are comfortable translating interviews and writing copies for events on Facebook.
Sectoral experience – Experience working in the tech sector is desirable. Experience working in or with NGOs/civil society and/or media would be a bonus.
● 3D CAD Design and 3D Printing is a plus
● 2D Design and Laser Cutting experience is a plus
● Experience in Electronics and Microcontrollers
Location: This role is based in Yangon. It may involve some travel around the country.
Hours: Phandeeyar is itself a start-up. Many of its activities happen outside standard office hours (9am-5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
To apply: Please send an email to email@example.com explaining why you are perfect for this role and attach a CV/resume (not more than two pages long).
Note: Applicants do not need to currently be living in Myanmar. We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.