Media Lab Manager
- Are you excited to lead the new Media Lab at Phandeeyar?
- Are you passionate about supporting civil society and the media use technology to increase their impact?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an innovation lab that is spearheading the use of technology to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar invests in local technology startups, trains new entrepreneurs and builds the pool of tech talent. Phandeeyar also helps civic and social entrepreneurs, CSOs and independent media use technology to increase their impact and runs a co-working space out of its 10,000 square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Including Digital Rights Forum, StartUp Challenge and Accelerator Program, Phandeeyar hosted 251 events total in 2017 with more than 4,000 attendees.
Phandeeyar is looking for a talented professional to lead a new Media Lab. A major part of your job will be to support local media to thrive in Myanmar. You will be a connector between Phandeeyar’s team of data experts and journalists, helping them to produce data-driven and investigative stories. This is an exciting opportunity to lead a new unit at its inception and to be part of using technology to transform Myanmar’s media.
Develop partnerships with the media
- Identify opportunities to support local media to thrive
- Network with journalists to build partnerships between Phandeeyar and local media
- Promote the idea of open data to a wide range of groups in Myanmar, ranging from civil society and researchers to businesses and government
Support journalists to produce data-driven stories/investigative journalism
- Coordinate between journalists and Phandeeyar’s technical team
- Work with local media partners to identify stories from data and support them to create data visualizations and multimedia content
- Organize training for journalists, e.g. classes in data-driven journalism
- Liaise between media partners, Phandeeyar’s data scientists, CSOs and donors
- Manage a team of data analysts and coordinate with team members from different disciplines to make sure that all parties are on track with project requirements, deadlines and schedules
Journalism/editorial experience – You should ideally have at least two years of experience working as a reporter or editor. A background in investigative journalism is a big plus. You must have excellent Myanmar language skills and strong English language skills.
Excellent Coordination and Communication skills – You’re a good communicator: You are able to communicate and coordinate between journalists and Phandeeyar’s tech team.
Comfortable with data visualization – You don’t need to have a background in data analysis, but you need to be very comfortable making sense of data.
Multimedia skills – Experience with photos, video or infographics is a bonus.
Training/Mentoring Experience – This job will involve helping others to learn data skills and use data effectively. Demonstrated experience at teaching or mentoring others would be highly useful.
Flexible, Adaptable and Reliable – You need to be comfortable working in a fast-moving, rapidly changing environment. You need to be able to work with a diverse team and to juggle many different projects and responsibilities, often with tight timeframes.
Fast Learner – You will need to be able to learn and apply lots of new skills quickly. You should be especially comfortable with picking up new IT skills.
Passion – You must be excited about open data and using open data as a tool for positive social impact and development in Myanmar and the Mekong region.
Sectoral experience – It would be highly useful to have experience working in development, social science research, environmental research and/or investigative journalism. This could be at local or international NGOs, think tanks, market research companies, academic institutions or news media organizations.
- Location: This role is based in Yangon. It may involve some travel around the country.
- Hours: Phandeeyar is itself a start-up. Many of its activities happen outside standard office hours (9am-5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however, there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
- Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
- The acceptance of this position is subject to funding availability
- Interested candidates can submit Phandeeyar Job Application Form. Applications are seen on an ongoing basis.
Note: Applicants do not need to currently be living in Myanmar. We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.
For more information please visit: