JOIN MYANMAR’S MOST EXCITING TEAM
- ● Are you an awesome manager talented at running big, fast moving teams?
- ● Do you have strong operational, financial and HR skills?
- ● Are you excited by the potential of technology to change Myanmar?
- ● Do you want to use your skills to help run Phandeeyar?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an innovation lab that is spearheading the use of technology to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar invests in local technology startups, trains new entrepreneurs and builds the pool of tech talent. Phandeeyar also helps civic and social entrepreneurs, CSOs and independent media use technology to increase their impact and runs a co-working space out of its 10,000 square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Phandeeyar is leading the growth of Myanmar’s tech ecosystem through community building, skills building, investments and direct support to Myanmar’s technology change agents.
Phandeeyar is looking for an outstanding manager to serve as its Operations Director. The Operations Director will oversee Phandeeyar’s operations and report to the CEO. Your job will be to ensure the organization has effective operational and financial procedures in place.
- ● Collaborate with the CEO and the Program Directors in setting and driving organizational vision, operational strategy, and hiring needs
- ● Translate strategy into actionable goals for performance and growth, helping to implement organization-wide goal setting, performance management, and annual operating planning
- ● Oversee company operations and employee efficiency, building a highly inclusive culture ensuring team members thrive and organizational outcomes are met
- ● Ensure effective recruiting, onboarding, professional development, performance management, and retention
- ● In collaboration with the CEO, report to Phandeeyar’s board of directors on key aspects of the organization’s growth and progress
- ● Adhere to organization, US, and local business requirements, enforcing compliance and taking action when necessary
- ● Establish policies that promote company culture and vision
- ● Analyze internal operations and identify areas of process enhancement
- ● Develop actionable strategies and plans that ensure alignment with short-term and long-term objectives developed in tandem with the CEO
- ● Directly oversee operations, HR, and Finance, and partner with the directors to define and follow up the budget
- ● Evaluate performance by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics
- ● Support other key Phandeeyar initiatives
Leadership & management skills – You need to have demonstrated experience successfully leading a team of at least 15-20 people and at least 3 direct reports. You have to be awesome at managing people to get things done. You’re a self-starter who takes the initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You have demonstrated experience managing managers
Human resources experience – You need to have strong HR experience. This should include not just hiring and firing, but managing staff development, developing and implementing policies and procedures and building a positive team culture.
Operations experience – You are an outstanding project manager who can juggle numerous projects and teams to get things done, often on tight timelines, under challenging circumstances and with limited resources.
Financial management experience – Excellent financial management skills are a must. You need demonstrated experience developing and managing budgets and overseeing audits and the preparation of financial reports. This should be for organizations with annual budgets of more than $1m and multiple sources of income. Experience raising money would be a bonus.
Attention to detail – you are thorough in your work, and in your review of the work of your reports. You are good at identifying and addressing challenges at an early stage, and you maintain a high standard for the quality of work you deliver, and ask for your reports to deliver.
Startup experience – Ideally you will have had experience in rapidly growing teams that have had to not only quickly build staff, but also simultaneously develop operational and procedures. At a minimum you must be able to demonstrate the flexibility and resourcefulness required to work in a fast moving entrepreneurial environment.
Communications – You’re an excellent communicator with great written and spoken English. The ability to speak and write in Myanmar language would be valuable, but is not required.
Passion – Phandeeyar is trying to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. It works not just with the tech community, but with change agents such as civil society groups, social enterprises and independent media. You must be excited to use your skills to help those working on socially driven initiatives.
Location: This role is based in downtown Yangon. It will involve some travel around the country.
Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
To apply: Interested candidates can submit Phandeeyar Job Application Form through Phandeeyar website. Applications are seen on an ongoing basis.
Note: Applicants do not need to currently be living in Myanmar. We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.For more information please visit: