- Are you a researcher interested in digital culture in Myanmar?
- Are excited to work on issues related to the 2020 election, hate speech, and disinformation?
- Do you want to use your skills to conduct studies, present reports, and educate Myanmar communities?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an innovation lab that is spearheading the use of technology to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar invests in local technology startups, trains new entrepreneurs and builds the pool of tech talent. Phandeeyar also helps civic and social entrepreneurs, CSOs and independent media use technology to increase their impact and runs a co-working space out of its 10,000 square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Including Digital Rights Forum, StartUp Challenge and Accelerator Program, Phandeeyar hosted 251 events total in 2017 with more than 4,000 attendees.
Phandeeyar is looking for a talented researcher to lead its in-house research team as a Research Manager. The Research Manager will be responsible for designing, planning, conducting, and sharing the results of research projects relating to digital culture in Myanmar and managing the research team.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage and direct the research team
- Coordinate between the research team and the Tech 4 Peace team
- Identify future research topics
- Design and conduct digital culture research with the research team and in communication with the Tech 4 Peace team
- Oversee and quality check research findings
- Compile research findings into high-quality research products and communication materials for multiple stakeholders
- Identify and maintain links with national and international research and civil society networks
- Work collaboratively with the project team to organize workshops on communicating research findings for civil society and media organizations
- Support the development and maintenance of the Internet Bawdar website and Facebook
- Provide support as a researcher and as an analyst for digital culture research findings that will be input for Internet Bawdar.
- Provide support as technical advisor for Think Before You Trust
- Provide support in Tech4Peace’s digital literacy fairs across the country
- Coach program trainers, review the curriculum development and support digital literacy awareness program
- Provide advice on programme monitoring and evaluation to ensure quality delivery of the programme
- Coach and mentor Tech 4 Peace members and research coordinator to improve research capacity
- Highly organized – You’re a self-starter who takes initiative and can mobilize resources, solve problems, and manage others. You can juggle multiple projects while supervising the work of others, often on tight timelines, and you have excellent attention to detail.
- Writing and analytical skills – You are someone who can write clearly and effectively, and create communication materials that convey complicated issues in easy-to-understand formats. You are able to independently conduct desk research and are able to easily read and understand academic literature.
- Passionate about technology and data – You don’t need to have a background in quantitative data analysis, but you should be comfortable with mixed methodologies. You are passionate about continually learning new skills in technology and data. Previous experience in the quantitative analysis would be highly desirable.
- Communications – You’re a good communicator with solid written and spoken skills in both Myanmar and English. Being able to produce high-quality written content independently in both Myanmar and English is an essential skill set for this position.
- Sectoral experience – Experience working in research, both quantitative and qualitative is highly desirable. Experience working in or with NGOs/civil society thinks tanks, academia, and/or the tech sector would be a bonus.
Location: This role is based in Yangon. It may involve some travel around the country.
Hours: Phandeeyar is itself a start-up. Many of its activities happen outside standard office hours (9am-5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
To apply: Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you are perfect for this role and attach a CV/resume (not more than two pages long).
Note: Applicants do not need to currently be living in Myanmar. We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.
For more information please visit: