JOIN MYANMAR’S MOST EXCITING TEAM
- ● Are you experienced in translating and interpreting between Burmese and other ethnic languages?
- ● Are you interested in social media culture and the upcoming election in Myanmar?
- ● Do you want to use your skills to collaborate with partner organizations and support marginalized communities in Myanmar?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an innovation lab that is spearheading the use of technology to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar invests in local technology startups, trains new entrepreneurs and builds the pool of tech talent. Phandeeyar also helps civic and social entrepreneurs, CSOs and independent media use technology to increase their impact and runs a co-working space out of its 10,000 square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Including Digital Rights Forum, StartUp Challenge and Accelerator Program, Phandeeyar hosted 251 events total in 2017 with more than 4,000 attendees.
Phandeeyar is looking for experienced translators in different Myanmar languages to support our research as independent contractors. The translators will be responsible for assisting the Research team in conducting research on social media trends related to the 2020 election, with a focus on marginalized communities.
Key responsibilities include:
● Assist the Research team in translating between Burmese and other languages (Kachin, Mon, Rakhine, Shan, Ta-ang, etc.)
● Assist in conducting and transcribing interviews with marginalized communities
● Assist in collecting and analyzing ethnic language content on social media
● Develop all materials that the Research team needs for research, writing, and analysis
● Sectoral experience – Experience working in translation for development projects or social research, especially in one of the following languages: Kachin, Mon, Rakhine, Shan, Ta-ang, etc.
● Highly organized – You’re a self-starter who takes initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You can juggle multiple projects with limited supervision, often on tight timelines, and you have excellent attention to detail.
● Writing and analytical skills – You are someone who can write clearly and effectively, and create communication materials that convey complicated issues in an easy-to-understand format.
● Communications – You’re a good communicator in both Myanmar and English. Being able to produce high-quality content independently in English is a bonus.
- ● Location: This role is based in Yangon. It may involve some travel around the country.
- ● Hours: Phandeeyar is itself a start-up. Many of its activities happen outside standard office hours (9am-5pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
- ● Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
- ● Interested candidates can submit Phandeeyar Job Application Form. Applications are seen on an ongoing basis.